Sunday, January 6, 2008

Holiday Happenings

Obviously we've been busy.

I know we haven't posted, but I promise that if you stick with us, we'll come back!

It's been a busy (gulp) month. (It has been a long time since we last posted, but not yet a month, I'd think.)

Let's see.... The kids' last day of school was Friday, Dec. 21. We were busy preparing for Christmas, and yes, we did go to church on Christmas eve. That day was particularly busy. Each kid opened one gift and that kept them occupied most of the day (which tells you how long our Christmas day was!) After church, it was off to bed! Corey was able to unwrap one more present, and he was so excited to receive a Crate & Barrel spatula so he could now help Mommy in the kitchen with his own equipment! However, it didn't take long to find the gift card was for "Carrie" and not for "Corey." But Nana's a sucker, and after she heard the story (and how disappointed Corey really was - maybe for misreading the gift but I think also for not getting a spatula), Nana got him one of his very own.

On Christmas Day, we went to a friend's house, and nearly didn't make it because we thought it might take all day to unwrap presents. Both because there were so many presents and because of the boys. Corey went through spurts where he'd tornado through five gifts, and then stop for an hour or so to play with one of them. Brody had little interest, but made lots of noise after Corey unwrapped his gifts for him. And Brody thoroughly enjoyed throwing out all the wrapping paper. Apparently cleaning skips generations, because he's got Nana's bug for it.

The day after Christmas, Brody and I left for Kansas City. Rob and Corey followed two days later. Brody immensely enjoyed his "alone" time with Nana and Papa, and he is a big fan of Papa, let me tell you. Whether just up from his nap or playing around the house, Papa was the first one he went to for nearly everything. (Lucky Papa also got to change "pooh" pants and clean up after Brody too!) Brody's favorite thing to do was to unload Nana and Papa's DVDs or books from their media center and bring them, one by one, to Papa, Nana, Rob or Julie - or really anyone who would take them, and then after he felt the work was sufficient, he'd take them all back one by one. He was meticulous about it until the very end, when he left a stack behind. He also 'helped' Nana by cleaning her family room with a sponge. (Nana was not so happy about the sponge cleaning the leather recliner....)

Corey had a great time as well, starting with playing with his cousins, Ben and Grace. We also saw his friends Ben and Cooper and his friends Ryan and Reid. We were able to spend an afternoon in Lawrence (unfortunately on one of the coldest days, and most unfortunately on a day that my precious Yarn Barn was closed!) and we got to see my friend, Christy, who is also Corey's godmother. Corey said he didn't need a fairy godmother, and I didn't really know what to say about that. I mean, it's always good to have a fairy godmother. Of course, unless she has powers she hasn't shared with me in almost-30 years, I think she's just a godmother....

We were able to eat at our favorite KC restaurants - Jack Stack and Garozzo's - and the boys really, really enjoyed a trip up to T-Rex. Corey also got a game of hockey in with my parent's neighbor's granddaughter, and though she was only a year older, and a GIRL, she beat Corey in hockey, 3 to 2 or 4 to 3, depending on Corey's mood.

The boys and I headed home a day early, and I'm glad we did. It gave us a much-needed day in the house. As it turns out, in the two days that Rob and Corey were home without me, they did not clean up the house at all. Not that I've made a dent, but I'm exhausted from trying! We were also able to stock up on milk, which is a necessity around here. I think the boys went through 3 gallons of milk in about 9 days at my parents' house. However, my arm is now starting to ache from possibly overdoing it on Wii tennis this morning with Corey, who started around 7 a.m. and stopped only for the requisite shopping trip and after I forced him to "rest" while Brody napped.

I'm still working on the house that looks like a tornado went through (it was a toddler tornado... he picks things up and takes them to other parts of the house. I spent a great deal of time trying to find my brush one day as a result.) Thus... no pictures yet. But I'm sure that when Rob returns Tuesday, he'll be the hero and post hundreds.

Thanks, and happy 2008!!!

No comments: