Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!

I'm exhausted!

My "vacation" day went something like this: work out, run errands, lunch at Joe's (YUM) and go volunteer at the school. I showed up, Grammy in tow, to help the kids get costumed. I might have maybe helped one kid tie something (and I did help Corey get into his costume). So, not much use there. I did get to see the craziness of one entire classroom being sent to the bathroom to get into costume, two kids at a time. Fun times.

Next on the agenda was a parade. The young kids paraded through the playground for the older kids. Lots of Power Rangers, Transformers and Star Wars characters. (It's like we never aged!) Corey, clearly is Raphael, one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. However, for school, he was without mask and without a "webbon" (Corey term for weapons.)






Here is Corey with his classmates on the basketball court. Lots of Disney princesses too!







Meanwhile, this morning Corey and I dropped off Brody at school. For the first time, Goddard School allowed costumes for Halloween. However, it was probably two days ago when we heard that, and we'd already gone high-maintenance on the costume. Brody flat-out refused to wear it to school, and we're not sure they EVER got it on him ... except briefly this morning and only then when Rob was holding him. (But don't worry, he had Woody with him all day.)




Brody was nearly falling asleep when Rob picked him up, but he was excited to watch all the kids in costumes parade by. So much so that Rob had trouble getting him to nap because "I don't want to!!!!"

After the parade, I moved into my booth duty at the First Grade Fall Festival. I was in charge of the ghost target toss. Basically kids got four soft balls to throw at velco ghost targets (that wouldn't stay on the wall and that velcro kept peeling off from). I was definitely suckered though, because I must have done about 1,000 lunges trying to pick up stray balls (even from two to three feet away, these kids were having trouble.) An HOUR later, I was able to take Corey home. Whew!

After another hour to recover (it was not enough), we started carving pumpkins. We made two pumpkins - a happy one and a sad one. Here is Corey with the sad one - hard to see, but there are tears cut in there - which was Brody's choice. Likely because he was in post-nap cranky pants mood.





Brody was briefly happy after his nap when he re-discovered the balloon he'd received at school. He carried it all over the house for a while and let it hit the ceiling more than once. It was far more exciting than carving pumpkins, apparently.









Corey in all-out Ninja mode. We made a trip over to Corey's friend Avery's house too, on the other side of the neighborhood. (Their street was a little more lively!) Corey had fun with her neighbor while playing with a fog machine.








The kids got a LOT of loot tonight trolling the neighborhood for front-porch lights. Brody was extremely polite, from "Trick or Treat!" to "thank you" to "Happy Halloween!" at every house. (Though he never really put the monkey ears back on.) At one house, I asked Brody what he was going to say, and he said "Candy!" But we cleared that up and he was more polite for the rest of the stops.

Though I'm exhausted, I have to say that it's really nice here. It's 9 p.m. now and 77 degrees, nice and cool outside.

Tomorrow morning we're taking Grammy to Corey's hockey practice and tomorrow night we're all going to watch the Wild and Coyotes from the Honeywell suite!

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Wow! That was quite a Halloween! Ours wasn't nearly as exciting. We sat around for almost an hour before our first trick-or-treaters showed up. (Lots of Disney princesses in Utica too.) Nice costumes!

Sinclairs said...

Carrie forgot to mention that Grammy accompanied her to Corey's school and also helped with the ghost ball toss. But I admit she did more lunges than I did- but I was also exhausted. Grammy